Your time is invaluable to us.
Meet new friends, share experiences, make a difference.
During COVID-19, social distancing is being strictly enforced at our location. Unfortunately, there is no current need for volunteers at this time. We encourage you to reach out to Volunteer and Information Quinte for other possible volunteer opportunities within the Quinte region.
Please check back at a later date for further updates to our volunteer section.
How can I help?
Keeping a food bank running requires many people who are dedicated to helping those less fortunate in our community. Gleaners would not be where we are without our wonderful team of volunteers.
Over 150 volunteers donate their time to our organization to ensure that people in our community receive food to feed themselves and their families.
We appreciate our donors and understand that it can be a large commitment to volunteer your time. That is why we have provided the ideas below on how you can be a part of our organization, as a donor, and how you can get involved to be a part of the solution.
- Serve food and beverages to the public in a welcoming fashion
- Prepare hot and cold beverages based on demand
- Clean tables and sitting area; sweep floor; ensure station is clean and sanitized prior to end of volunteer shift
- Answer Phones and takes message
- Directs questions to the appropriate staff membe
- Provides the public and clients with access to information on programs, services and resources
Front line Worker
- Serving fresh, frozen and non-perishable items to qualifying client
- Assisting in packing bags, sorting and organizational assistanc
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Ability to interview qualifying clients, requesting confidential and sensitive information in an non-judgemental manner
- Inputting client data into the online Links2Feed Syste
- Understanding and knowledge of local resources, programs and services that are beneficial to increasing the quality of life for clients seeking service
- Ability to calm clients, listen attentively and provide excellent services based on the needs of the attending client
- Follows directions to put together different types of client hampers such as single, small, medium, large
- Special circumstances for hamper type may be requested based on allergies, special dietary needs or housing circumstances (ie. Homeless)
- Sorts various non perishable food items in an organized manner into categories for future stock use
- Abides by the Hastings & Prince Edward Country Public Health Unit rules and regulations
- Food Handling certificate is an asset
- Breaks down large quantity of food items such as breads, pastries, meat, dry products, fresh and frozen
- Cleans and sanitized work station before and after every shift
- Warehouse volunteers help us to distribute more than 200,000 kilograms of food per year
- Warehouse volunteers assist in completing orders for Gleaners Food Bank, members of the Quinte Regional Food Share Shelter, non-profit agencies and community service clubs. This also includes stocking shelves and tasks required on an as needed basis
- Experience using hand lift trucks is an asset. Otherwise, training is available
- Must complete Driver’s abstract and submission to Gleaners Food Bank’s insurance provider
- Completes pick ups and deliveries to clients, businesses, affiliates agencies during client operating hours.
- Depending on the pick-up/delivery schedule, extra hours may be required outside of operating hours
- Volunteer must be able to lift up to 25lbs.
Fundraising special events
- Assist as requested during special events.
- Ability to socialize within a public venue providing services and information from those requesting.
- Computer skills using Word & Excel is an asset
- Duties may include inputting data in forms, collecting information, providing information over the phone, through email or in person.
- Enjoys spending time outdoors
- Experience and knowledge with gardening is an asset.
- Ability to stand or sit for various lengths of time
- Duties include: planting, watering, weeding garden beds.