The Ethical Foodbanking Code
Feeding our community without judgement or prejudice
Food Banks Canada and our network of Provincial Associations and Affiliate food banks will:
- Provide food and other assistance to those needing help regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, income source, age or mental or physical ability.
- Treat all those who access services with the utmost dignity and respect.
- Implement best practices in the proper and safe storage and handling of food.
- Respect the privacy of those served, and will maintain the confidentiality of personal information.
- Not sell donated food.
- Acquire and share food in a spirit of cooperation with other food banks and food programs.
- Strive to make the public aware of the existence of hunger, and of the factors that contribute to it.
- Recognize that food banks are not a viable long-term response to hunger, and devote part of their activities to reducing the need for food assistance.
- Represent accurately, honestly and completely their respective mission and activities to the larger community.