Gleaners Food Bank (Quinte) Inc. Privacy Statement
Your privacy is important
Gleaners Food Bank (Quinte) Inc. is committed to protecting the privacy and the personal information of its network, donors, employees, other stakeholders and users of our Web site. Gleaners Food Bank (Quinte) Inc. values the trust of those we deal with, and of the public, and recognizes that maintaining this trust requires that we be transparent and accountable in how we treat the personal information that you may choose to share with us.
Links to Third Party Sites
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual and may include an individual’s name, address, email, telephone number, age, financial information, etc. Personal information does not include most business contact information such as the name, position, title, business address, or business telephone or fax number of an individual.
Gleaners Food Bank is committed to the following privacy principles:
1) Identifying Purposes
Gleaners Food Bank collects and uses personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide tax receipts when users make an online donation or use other services.
- To administer pre-authorized recurring donations.
- To generate statistics and aggregate reports for internal and external use.
- To communicate directly with users, including through Gleaners Food Bank service news and updates, charitable promotions, charitable stories we think will be of interest to you, or other forms of communications.
- To provide support and help to our network of affiliated food banks and partners.
2) Consent to use your personal information
- Gleaners Food Bank collects personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it or otherwise only with your consent as required by PIPEDA or by other applicable law.
- Gleaners Food Bank will seek consent for the use or disclosure of personal information at the time of its collection.
- Gleaners Food Bank will not, as a condition of our programs and services, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
- Upon giving Gleaners Food Bank reasonable notice, an individual may withdraw consent to use his or her personal information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions.
- If you do not wish to receive communications from us or participate in more personalized information and services, you may easily unsubscribe by following the directions provided in the communication.
3) Limiting Collection
Gleaners Food Bank limits the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose. The types of information Gleaners Food Bank collects can be summarized as follows:
- Personal Information provided to Gleaners Food Bank: Gleaners Food Bank collects certain personal information directly from individuals who interact with us, including the following:
- Contact information (such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number);
- Financial and billing information (such as credit card number/expiration date, broker and financial advisor information);
- Donation history (such as amount donated and charities donated to);
- Tax receipt information; and
- Account username and password information.
- Non-Personal Information: When donors, volunteers, charities and other organizations access the secure section of our website, anonymous, non-personal information about their visit is automatically collected. This information may include the date of the visit, how the visitor uses the website, the length of the visit, what pages the visitor viewed, the type of browser and operating system being used, and the domain name of the visitor's Internet service provider. Gleaners Food Bank may also collect statistics that describe how our visitors use our site. This information might include the average donation amount, the geographic breakdown of donations by area, what times of the day have the heaviest traffic, and which type of charity receives the most gifts. This information, collected in the aggregate, allows Gleaners Food Bank to better serve donors and its network of affiliated food banks and partners. None of these statistics reveal any personally-identifiable or individual information and Gleaners Food Bank does not use any of this information to identify individuals. In certain cases, for the purposes of fraud detection and mitigation, IP addresses are collected in order to protect Gleaners Food Bank against possible illegal activities.
- Cookie-based Information: Sometimes we may use cookie technology, web beacons and other similar devices on our Web site to enhance functionality and navigation for our visitors. Information tracked through these mechanisms includes, but is not limited to: (i) your IP address; (ii) the type of web browser and operating system being used; (iii) the pages of the Web site a user visits; and (iv) other Web sites a user visited before visiting this website. If you wish to disable cookies, refer to your browser help menu to learn how to disable cookies. Please note that if you disable cookies, you may be unable to access some customized features on our Web site. Cookies do not collect or contain your personal information.
5) Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- Gleaners Food Bank does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law.
- Gleaners Food Bank may have to disclose personal information to satisfy a law, regulation or government request, or to satisfy a subpoena, search warrant or legitimate court order.
- Gleaners Food Bank may share personal information with third parties engaged to assist us in providing our services. Such third parties will be contractually bound to protect your personal information.
- Gleaners Food Bank reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer or conveyance of all or any portion of Food Banks Canada in order for you to continue to receive the same services from the third party.
- Gleaners Food Bank retains personal information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
- Gleaners Food Bank does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
Gleaners Food Bank takes reasonable effort to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we are committed to protecting your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us.
Some or all of the personal information we collect may be stored or processed on servers located outside your jurisdiction of residence, including in the United States, whose data protection laws may differ from the jurisdiction in which you live. As a result, this information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in those jurisdictions according to laws in those jurisdictions. Subject to applicable laws in such other jurisdictions, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that appropriate protections are in place to require the data processor in those countries to maintain protections on the personal information that are equivalent to those that apply in Canada.
9) Individual Access
Upon request Gleaners Food Bank will:
i) Inform users of the existence and use of their personal information.
ii) Inform users whether their personal information has been disclosed to any authorized third parties.
iii) Provide users with access to their personal information in our custody or under our control subject to legal restrictions.
Requests are to be directed to:
Director of Operations
Address: 25 Wallbridge Crescent, Belleville, Ontario, K8N 1Z3
Gleaners Food Bank will make every effort to respond to requests for access to personal information in a reasonable and timely manner.
10) Challenging Compliance
Further information on privacy and your rights in regard to your personal information may be found on the website of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada https://www.priv.gc.ca/en.
Breach of Security
In the unlikely event of a breach in security, Gleaners Food Bank may be bound by the Breach of Security Safeguards Regulations under PIPEDA. In the event of becoming aware of a breach in security that poses a real risk of significant harm to users, Gleaners Food Bank will inform affected users of the breach as directly and soon as possible. Gleaners Food Bank will endeavour to provide as much required information under the Regulations to affected users as possible. Gleaners Food Bank is also committed to informing the Privacy Commissioner of any such breach.
Gleaners Food Bank will keep a record of any breach in security for 24 months.
Gleaners Food Bank is committed to protecting the privacy of children and we do not knowingly solicit personal information from children. If a child has already provided us with personal information, his or her parent or guardian may contact us for the purpose of deleting this information.